At HHS, it is our mission to be successful in identifying and serving our customers’ needs. We strive to be forward thinking in creating solutions for our customers by providing safe, nutritious, high-quality food to each of our culinary and nutrition partnerships. As part of our sustainability program, HHS is committed to the support of responsible animal welfare practices. We expect our suppliers to incorporate animal welfare protocols and be aware of and demonstrate compliance with industry standards and government regulations, including those related to animal welfare.
HHS strives to partner with suppliers that provide an environment that is consistent with The 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating Program developed by Global Animal Partnership.
The five steps are defined as:
- Step 1 – No cages, no crates, no crowding
- Step 2 – Enriched environment
- Step 3 – Enhanced outdoor access
- Step 4 – Pasture centered
- Step 5 – Animal centered, physical alterations prohibited
- Step 5+ – Animals live entire life on integrated farm
Beyond sourcing, HHS is committed to educating and advocating opposition to the mistreatment of animals, including how they are raised, cared for, transported, and processed. HHS will follow the Global Animal Partnership’s multi-tiered animal welfare standards to educate team members, clients, and consumers regarding current and future animal welfare issues.
The following commitments are intended to address a range of animal welfare issues affecting egg, dairy, meat, and seafood production. As a part of our commitment, HHS:
- Eliminated the use of veal in all operations due to unethical treatment of animals in 2016
- Eliminated the use of unsustainably raised seafood in 2017
- Implemented a food waste tracking program in 2017 to better understand our food waste as a company and reduce waste where possible
- Purchases only cage-free eggs from the U.S.
- Engages suppliers to better understand and comply with animal welfare issues
- Continuously educates our clients and team members regarding our animal welfare position
- Provides counsel and resources to our clients responsible for sourcing within our partnerships
- Incorporates our position and policy into all contracts, proposals, and RFPs
- References suppliers’ own resources on animal rights position and policies
- Expects swift and decisive action by suppliers in unforeseen cases of animal abuse or cruelty
As a part of our continued commitment to the wellbeing of our environment and animal welfare, HHS will:
- Eliminate all pork from animals bred using gestation crates by end of 2020
- Continue to expand our local produce supplier program to encourage sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices
- Source “imperfect” produce that would otherwise be disposed
- Seek out producers and suppliers that practice clean water initiatives
- Develop a large-scale campaign to further educate team members and clients about food waste
As we continue to review and refine our sustainability standards, we’ll look at areas such as our carbon footprint, water usage, and other areas of environmental impact in order to ensure we continue to provide our partners with the highest quality ingredients that are sustainably raised and humanely processed.