At HHS, it is our mission to be successful in identifying and serving our customers’ needs. We strive to be forward-thinking in creating solutions for our customers by providing safe, nutritious, high-quality food to each of our culinary and nutrition partnerships. As part of our animal welfare policy, HHS is committed to the support of responsible animal welfare practices. We expect our suppliers to incorporate animal welfare protocols and be aware of and demonstrate compliance with industry standards and government regulations, including those related to animal welfare.
HHS strives to partner with suppliers that provide an environment that is consistent with The 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating Program developed by the Global Animal Partnership.
The five steps are defined as:
- Step 1 – No cages, no crates, no crowding
- Step 2 – Enriched environment
- Step 3 – Enhanced outdoor access
- Step 4 – Pasture centered
- Step 5 – Animal centered, physical alterations prohibited
- Step 5+ – Animals live entire life on integrated farm
Beyond sourcing, HHS is committed to educating and advocating opposition to the mistreatment of animals, including how they are raised, cared for, transported, and processed. HHS will follow the Global Animal Partnership’s multi-tiered animal welfare standards to educate team members, clients, and consumers regarding current and future animal welfare issues.
The following commitments are intended to address a range of animal welfare issues affecting egg, dairy, meat, and seafood production. As a part of our commitment, HHS has:
- Eliminated the use of veal in all operations due to unethical treatment of animals in 2016
- Eliminated the use of unsustainably raised seafood in 2017
- Implemented the purchases of only cage-free eggs from the U.S.
- Focused on using only antibiotic-free and hormone-free meats
HHS is also continuing to improve our policy by:
- Working to eliminate all pork from animals bred using gestation crates by end of 2021
- Engaging with suppliers to better understand and comply with animal welfare issues
- Continuously educating our clients and team members regarding our animal welfare position
- Providing counsel and resources to our clients responsible for sourcing within our partnerships
- Incorporating our position and policy into contracts, proposals, and RFPs
- Referencing suppliers’ own resources on animal rights position and policies
- Expecting swift and decisive action by suppliers in unforeseen cases of animal abuse or cruelty
As we continue to review and refine our animal welfare policy, we’ll continue to provide our partners with the highest quality ingredients that are sustainably raised and humanely processed.